Hormonal acne is often caused by the following factors:
- An excess of sebum (oil) production in the sebaceous (oil) glands of the skin. Normally the oil helps to protect the skin and keep it smooth and supple, but when something causes it to be produced in excess this causes acne
- Dry skin cells clogging pores
- Bacteria inside the sebaceous glands overgrow
But why does hormonal acne itch?
Here are the main reasons that make hormonal acne itchy:
- The skin reacts to the use of a topical treatment. Some topical treatments are drying and cause friction on the skin surface which triggers an itch sensation
- Clogged and cramped pores become inflamed and swollen. Pressure build up inside the pimple causes it to become itchy
- When hormonal acne becomes very inflamed nerve endings in the skin become irritated which causes itching
- If acne-causing bacteria, called Propionibacterium acnes, overgrow within a clogged pore they can release excess amounts of inflammatory toxins that react with the skin and trigger acne
Now the best way to stop the itch is to eliminate the acne. No acne, no itch.
Topical treatments to kill skin bacteria and reduce skin inflammation might seem like the obvious solution but the problem with this approach is it only masks the itch.
Topical treatments don’t get to the root cause of hormonal acne which is hormone imbalances.
So the goal of hormonal acne treatment should be to uncover the underlying hormone imbalances and treat them rather than treating the symptoms only. Learn more about this on our Ultimate Hormonal Acne Treatment Guide.
The most successful way to do this is to test your hormones first before trying to balance your hormones with supplements.
Test, don’t guess is the way to go.
Testing uncovers the underlying hormone imbalance that’s causing increased oil production and bacterial overgrowth in your clogged pores.
Then once you have that information you can work to bring your hormones gently back into balance with herbs, supplements and lifestyle and dietary modifications that are suited to your specific individual physiology!
If itchy acne is getting you down then we are here to help you. We have helped over 1000 women eliminate their hormonal acne naturally and we can help you too.
To get our help click here.