Acne flare-ups are big stress when they happen, and it gets itchy.
Nothing makes you feel more self-conscious than a big juicy red pimple on your face.
And when you’re rebalancing your hormones naturally it’s not unusual for your acne to flare up from time to time because hormones don’t rebalance overnight.
So, it’s good to have a spot treatment option ready to go for times when flareups do happen.
For a spot treatment to be effective it needs to do the following:
- Reduce inflammation – settling down inflammation is a key thing to do because the thing that makes a pimple stand out is when it’s red and inflamed. Reducing the inflammation automatically makes the pimple less visible.
- Kill out-of-control bacteria – once a pore becomes clogged bacteria start to multiply and the pore becomes infected, inflamed and pussy. Killing the bacteria prevents the pimple from becoming too large and visible.
- Draw out any oil, pus or dirt – removing the dirt, oil and puss clogging up a pore helps the pore heal, minimises the chance of reinfection and evens out the skin’s texture.
Seven top options for hormonal acne spot treatment
- Tea tree oil – one of the best natural antibacterial treatments. A drop of the oil can be applied directly to a pimple or you can use a tea tree spray. The antibiotic-like compounds in tea trees kill off bacteria in the area you apply it to. Be aware tea tree oil is drying so it won’t act as a moisturiser.
- Evening primrose oil – is rich in GLA (gamma-linolenic acid), a powerful natural anti-inflammatory omega 6 oil. You can pierce a capsule and squeeze out a drop or two and apply directly to an inflamed pimple.
- Zinc spray – zinc is antibacterial and healing. Using the spray allows you to apply zinc directly to an affected area to kill bacteria and promote faster healing.
- Turmeric powder – Nature’s wonder anti-inflammatory. You can mix a little turmeric powder with some water to make a paste and apply it directly to pimples.
- Green tea – is antibacterial and can be used as a spot treatment by brewing a strong cup of tea, letting it cool and then dabbing the tea onto the affected area.
- Clays – mix some therapeutic clay powder with water to make a paste and either apply some to any pimples or as a full face mask. Allow the clay to dry and as it does the clay will draw, bacteria, toxins, dirt and dead cells out of the pimple.
- Sauerkraut poultice – this might sound bizarre it’s a way to rebalance the bacteria on your face. You need to use ‘raw’ sauerkraut (one that needs to be refrigerated) so it has live cultures still in it. Add 1 tablespoon to a handkerchief, twist the ends together to make an enclosed ball and then hold it against any pimples for about 20 minutes.
The great thing about all of the above is they can be safely used together to make the best spot treatment for hormonal acne around. For more information on natural acne treatment visit our full guide here.
To discover how you can finally achieve picture-perfect skin, naturally, click here.